As the sole designer on the UXPath, I led the efforts across various product design roles, this summer my pitch to design the website was successfully accepted.
My Role: Stakeholder interviews, Business analysis, Collaborated on requirements gathering and on release iteration planning, UX Research, UX Design, Web Design, User Testing.
With companies moving more remotely, we saw a massive increase in signups which gave us an optimistic ship date of September 1st.
Educational institutions get the opportunity to attract an unlimited amount of students by offering them remote e-learning opportunities. No other educational tool can offer the same flexibility - you only need internet access to start. While the world is still facing the pandemic situation, a great demand for online learning has been remarked.
Before getting started with any designing, research, or etc, we laid out a schedule and plan for the research and design process. This allowed the stakeholders and other employees to understand the processes and the project length.
I had to speed up the timeline to get to development stage, shortening the design & research timeframe to just one month. So, we considered to focus on delivering a MVP (Minimum Viable Product) that will represent a strong starting point for our further improvements.
I started the discovery process by interviewing the stakeholders to gain a better understanding of what business objectives & features should be included in the website. These interviews included conversations with the founders, board members , reps, and employees.
They provided me insights that made the design process a bit easier to understand. Some of the business objectives that were give to me were:
➲ Strong enough to be the outward-facing brand presence
➲ Provide a clear and transparent information on pricing
➲ Implement meaningful content for a easier understanding
In order to get a feel of the state of the industry and other best practices, we conducted a deep analysis of competitors and major players in the Educational Tech industry.
This step provided enough background information on what is working for some of the competitors in order to implement and remove certain elements in our future design.
The SWOT Analysis was a key stage in determing brand positioning. Because this was done late in the discovery phase, it was better to find strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats.
I believe that an effective design product or experience couldn't be made without conducting some series of interviews. So, we gathered over 100 digital users and we asked them about their previous digital experiences and their choices preferences.
Most of their answers were very constructive and related to the websites lack of information.
In addition to the previous survey, I conducted interviews with 5 participants to dive deeper into the reasoning for the answers, and to prove further to gain new insights.
Findings & Insights
The research results were analyzed and organized through affinity mapping, persona creation, and Kanban boards.
Because the feedback was very focused on information, our findings were relatively intuitive:
➲ We need to provide more information relating to the product and pricing
➲ We need to provide testimonials and social proof
➲ The website needs to be accessible and responsive
The Design Process
My design process started with taking these insights and moving into lo-fi wireframes, then a brief stakeholder review. After this, I moved into hi-fi wireframes that could be send to the
team for copy ideation.
The goal with the hi-fi wireframes was to provide a visual representation of how to user experience would look from an information and branding perspective.
This is the first iteration of the main landing page with the focus on creating a clean and simple flow that informs users about the product and offerings.
Regardless of being the only designer, the design process was meant to be collaborative. After each step, we extensively reviewed and analyzed the designs to find areas of improvement - ultimately leading up to the final screens.
When moving from wireframe through the iteration process, the main objective was to create an experience that was simple, but informative. It was essential to remove all confusion around the product, pricing, team, and more.
Dashboard page mock-up
Final designs pre-development
The similarities between the web and product design were enough to guide my decision making through this process.
Reflecting on this process, there were areas where improvements in collaboration would've been helpful in shortening the timeline of this project. Better and more transparent communication would've made this process smoother.
User research being more extensive would've helped in making the design process easier as well.
➲ Led the design for a SaaS digital experience Startup
➲ Conducted user research and managed clean communication between stakeholders & investors
➲ This was my first launch of a project I led!